One of the TeamSC10.com readers asked us to write a post about good things to keep in a toolbox for practicing and racing at the track. We came up with the following list of items you should keep handy. If you keep these items in your toolbox, you will be able to repair, tune, and rebuild your SC10 at the track without having to borrow a tool from your LHS or another driver. Plus, you'll have all the tools necessary to help the newbie next to you in the pits.
We have broken this list into three parts: tools, parts, and fluids/etc.
- Hex Wrench Set (0.05mm, 1.5mm, 1/16", 5/64", 3/32", 2.5mm, 3.0mm)
- Phillips and Flathead Screwdrivers (small size)
- Turnbuckle Wrench (4mm)
- Nut Drivers - 1/4" for front wheels and 11/32" for rear wheels
- Needle Nose Pliers
- Lexan Scissors (for trimming the body)
- Regular Scissors for random cuts
- Body Clips
- Ball End Cups
- Plastic and Metal Spacers
- Shock Springs for tuning (Front and Rear Springs)
- Shock Spacers and Pistons
- Different Pinion/Spur Gears for tuning
- Extra Foam Spacer for battery placement
- Extra Tires and Wheels (Front Wheels and Rear Wheels)
- Black Grease
- Shock Oil in the weight you prefer
- WD 40
- Servo Tape
- Tire Glue (CA or Super Glue)
- Compressed Air
- Electrical Tape
If you don't have a toolbox and are looking for something cheap, look for a cheap tackle box at a sporting good store or super store.
Please post other toolbox essentials in the comments section below. I know there is something we missed! Also post the tool/pit boxes you are using.